[Ilugc] Recover files from a clobbered ext4 fs

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 20:48:58 IST 2012

The unthinkable happened.

One of my junior engineer did a

                           dd_rescue <some_iso_image>  /dev/sdc

(instead of /dev/sdd) in a moment of haste

/dev/sdc happens to be a 1TB HDD that held an ext4 partition and all
my archives (~650GB) were on it.

The ISO image is about 685MB.   Although the partition table and upto
685MB has been clobbered, I am hoping the files in the remainder are
recoverable.
(I realize some files may not be recoverable at all).

At present, I am running 'testdrive'  (from the author of photorec) to
see what it recognizes.

Any other suggestions welcome.

--
Arun Khan