Next: The estate office
Up: Surviving IIT-M
Previous: Provident fund schemes
The choice of living on campus is a very individual one. We leave it to the
reader to use his best judgement.
- Stress and pollution free commute to the department.
- Pristine campus with wildlife that is perfect for a morning walk.
- Easy access to campus facilities e.g. school, gymkhana, stores, banks.
- Direct billing of phones, electricity and water.
- Feeling of belonging to a community.
- Each employee living on campus will lose the house rent and
transportation allowances. (1000 sq. ft. apts just outside the campus
rent for about Rs. 7000 - Sept. 2002.)
- Old construction, in poor condition and a dependence on institute
- Cleanliness, sanitation and hygiene can be a problem on ground
floors. Water problems and summer heat on higher floors.
- With the greenery comes the wildlife.
- Absence of competition makes on-campus services (e.g. banks, gas, etc)